main banner
the pirate girl
 
Juste un peu de silence.

black, white
and the shades of grey in between

photo's by me :)


grey

This is just a blog for thoughts - songs that are speaking to me, pics from where I've been today, or projects on the drawing board.
Just a random outlet.
An area of free association.
Comments welcome - though anon's are discouraged please.
Enjoy your stay & come again.
Please note: The content of this blog does not represent the views of any organisations to which I belong.
disclaimer

pirate folder
the pirate girl

coeval happenings
reading: Moab is my Washpot - Stephen Fry
listening to: Napalm & Silly Putty - George Carlin
travelling/staying in: SA, NSW & Vic - depending when you catch me


Let's call today: 'Sunday 11 July 2004'


pirategirl wrote in the notebook:
 
today started like any other seemingly innocuous of days.

i was woken, as usual, by breakfast in bed, a cup of tea and an overly cheery disposition. this is usually brushed off by an admittedly rude half-asleep grunt, but today i was talkative and unusually quite content to discuss whatever irrelevant and insignificant with my mother. apart from waking up initially thinking it was monday, my day off, today was going to be a good day, i thought.

knowing then what i know now about how the day would progress, id have stayed in bed.


after enjoying a slight sleep-in, i drive thru the winter drizzle and arrive late to work. i turn into the private road to come face to face to the tractor, and have to back out and wait until it had reached its fork and turned off into the field. not a problem. so far so good.

i notice mine iss the only car in the carpark - which means we we're 2 pickers short.... again. I come in, do the little bit that's required in my corner and go out to wash some stock that Bennan had picked by himself earlier. With my hands submersed in freezing cold water, wearing thick waterproof gloves that work better at being waterproof if there were no holes in the finger tips, I hear the other pickers arrive finally.

"Sorry, we had a flat tire."

Ok fair enough.

Then they disappear to join Bennan in the kitchen. They've been gone all morning, been here 5 minutes and now they're on a break?? I continued washing.

Later inside.

Where the hell's my rosemary? Brr Brr. "Mum? Is there a box of rosemary on the porch that maybe I missed this morning?"

"Nope, nothing there at all."
"Okay, they've forgotten about it. I'll wait for them to bring it here. Thanks."

Bliiiip. '1 New Message' says my mobile phone. "Tell Mum we'll be late. See you soon."

What? I'm not even fucking home.

I turn around to hear what my shed worker is saying.

"Can I go after I finish today's packs?"

Yeah, we're doing ok today. "Sure, but before you do can you pick some sage?"

A groan is the response. Followed by a lowered head and a 10 minute whine about how bad the sage is and its sooooooooo hard to make 15 bunches and how much we hate doing sage and blah blah blah.

Okay okay forget it. I'll do it. Go home when you're ready.

Bliiiip. '1 New Message' says my mobile phone again. "Get credit soon xx"

If you want to pay for it.... But still, I was happy to get that message.

Riiing Riiing. My boss calls the shed. "How you guys doing today? I'll be out of here about three."

Wha? Why are you checking up on me? "We're going alright. See you then."

Another hour or so and the 2 latecomers are inside again.

"We're going home because she has a stomach ache."

Grrrr... "Okay, fine. Hope you feel better."

I view the picking board that shows us what's happening and what we need for the day. Then I check what still needs doing in my corner.

"Hey, do you mind if you do stay a little longer, now that they've gone, to do a little bit more? You can still go early..."

A further 15 minutes of bitching and whining and 'that's not my problem' crap.

Fine. I don't fucking want you here anyway if you're gonna be like that. "Okay Okay Okay - finish what you're doing and go. Good? Good."

Bennan comes in and I tell him what still needs to be done. Pretty soon it's just him and me. I give him instructions and go out to pick my sage.

Bliiiip. '1 New Message' says my mobile phone yet again. "I'm going to Dublin!"

Yes, I know... you emailed me ages ago and told me..... ?

I bring in my sage and begin to bunch it. The boss comes in. I finish the sage and go help Bennan. He hasn't picked enough for one order in particular. Outranked now, I consult the matter with my boss.

"Well, she's expecting 3 kilo's of it!"

Okay, so we'll pick more of it. It's not fucking hard. "Alright" *insert strained fake smile*

"I've locked the bike away already!"

So? "That's okay, we'll walk."

*mumble mumble*

I know better than to ask her to repeat that, so I go out and continue to wash stock. It's past 5pm and has been raining on and off all day. Half of my time has been spent at the trough outside, so I am by now very damp and very cold.

Bennan has quite a bit more to pick so I come inside again and do odd bits and pieces of work that needs to be done.

"I mean, I would have picked it at the other farm but it wasn't ordered." Another 5 minute further broken lecture about the order we're short on.

Why the hell are we still talking about this??? "Yes, Jill."

I can hear that my CD is jumping. It's been on the same song back and forth for about 7 minutes. I take it out to find that it's been scratched by the dust and crap that's in the player. I turn off the stereo and go outside.

I pack the trailer as best I can, leaving room for the 2 boxes that are still to come. It's raining pretty steadily now, and I'm very ready to go home.

I sweep up. There's nothing left to do, and Bennan still isn't finished. I grab my cutters and walk over to the other side of the river to see if he needs help.

I bump into him coming back and we complete the day. The trailer is packed and all is ready.

Finally, time to go home. "Thanks Bennan, you're a great help."

I flip thru the folders by the sign out sheet.

Where the fuck is my timebook??? "Oh look Bennan, someone put my book in the 'O' section.... funny, I thought my lastname begun with 'F' hey?" *insert tired and somewhat disinterested forced laughter*

I grab my keys. "Okay, see you next time."

I staggered to my car and collapse into the drivers seat. I turn the key. The car groans in effort and is silent. Dead.

I look at the arm by the wheel. The lightswitch is still down. "For god's sake!" I curse aloud.

I walk back thru the muddy puddles and pot-holes to the shed.Brr Brr. "Ness? You don't feel like coming down and jumping my car do you?"

"Be there soon, sweetie."

Paul arrives at the end of Brookside Road and I walk up the dirt private road to find him and lead him back to my car, as Ness stays on my mobile phone and listens to me pour out my day. "Are you and/or Paulie in a bad mood today? 'Cos everyone else is..."

Ness and Paul are their usual beautiful kind selves and he jump starts my car and follows me out to make sure it's all ok.

"Thanks Paulie." I give him a massive hug and a bag of Tatsoi for Ness as a big thankyou. I can't seem to thank him enough.

Later on South Road he heads for his turn off and gives me a wave.

At least, the day wasn't *all* bad.

Walking thru the back door into my dining room I slide to the floor, then crawl to chair at the table where my family is finishing dinner.

Yum, chicken.

"Thank god that day's over."


6:40 pm | Post A Comment... >

 
   
 
 

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


blogs, projects & other links:
under construction after gremlins attacked this sidebar

mine sweeper
zombie skittles
under my umbrella
jason b standing
hyperbole and a half
geekologie
postsecret
you are not a photographer
geek with curves
boobiethon

untitled experimental dating site outlet blog
captain's log
the scribe
the NEW amount
big unit studios

20 things i learned about browsers & the web
that's not cool - anti online/textual harassment support



music, art & inspiration:
avaste music
lior
ben folds
hawksley workman
missy higgins
BLACKNAIL
wandering minstrels
annelizabeth
xavier rudd
more coming - goddam gremlins ruined my linksbar!!!! >.<

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from a real life girl. Make your own badge here.

Free Web Counters thanks to imageshack.us
::i love to love and love to be loved::


eBay Sniper


This blog is now 7 years old!!

archives:

  • December 2002
  • January 2004
  • April 2004
  • May 2004
  • June 2004
  • July 2004
  • August 2004
  • September 2004
  • October 2004
  • November 2004
  • December 2004
  • January 2005
  • February 2005
  • March 2005
  • April 2005
  • May 2005
  • June 2005
  • July 2005
  • August 2005
  • September 2005
  • October 2005
  • November 2005
  • December 2005
  • January 2006
  • February 2006
  • March 2006
  • April 2006
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • August 2006
  • September 2006
  • October 2006
  • November 2006
  • December 2006
  • January 2007
  • February 2007
  • March 2007
  • April 2007
  • May 2007
  • June 2007
  • July 2007
  • August 2007
  • September 2007
  • October 2007
  • November 2007
  • December 2007
  • February 2008
  • March 2008
  • April 2008
  • May 2008
  • July 2008
  • August 2008
  • September 2008
  • October 2008
  • November 2008
  • December 2008
  • January 2009
  • February 2009
  • March 2009
  • June 2009
  • August 2009
  • September 2009
  • November 2009
  • December 2009
  • January 2010
  • February 2010
  • March 2010
  • April 2010
  • May 2010
  • June 2010
  • August 2010
  • September 2010
  • October 2010
  • December 2010
  • January 2011
  • February 2011
  • March 2011
  • April 2011
  • May 2011
  • June 2011
  • July 2011
  • November 2012